Advanced Level English Vocabulary MCQs (Set-14)
1. Almost all the villages in New Guinea are surrounded by shrubby zones where people have ______- the original rain forest and planted gardens.
A) kept out
B) wrapped up
C) made up
D) cleared away
E) sealed off
2. In many countries training for industry has always been considered to be ______ the concern of industry itself, not of the state.
3. Recent studies have shown that smokers are more ______ to common colds and flu than non-smokers.
4. Even quite late in the twentieth century, many men assumed that entry into certain professions was their______ right.
5. Evidence of racial bias in sentencing helped to convince certain states in America to ______ capital punishment in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
A) keep down
B) rule against
C) put out
D) point out
E) break through
6. In Britain the prime minister is still appointed by the sovereign, but the latter’s ______ in the selection process may now be said to be merely nominal.
Check also: English Grammar MCQs
7. He admits that he has not yet fully______- the true implications or the logical conclusions of his startling discovery.
A) given back
B) thought out
C) played down
D) taken over
E) backed out
8. ______ populated, rural Northumberland is one of the most unspoiled countries in England.
9. Anti-lock brakes (ABS) help you to maintain steering control of your car even while braking on ______ roads.
10. Few would ______ that corporations, especially the multinational ones, are enormously powerful.
11. No ______ authority has the right to dictate whether a state shall adopt a socialist or a capitalist economic policy.
12. Natural disasters have been defined as ecological disruptions exceeding the adjustment capacity of a community and ______ outside assistance.
A) stepping up
B) putting up with
C) look after
D) calling for
E) dealing with
13. A basic ______ of amphibious warfare is undoubtedly command of the sea.
14. Bacteria have remarkable capacity for ______ tolerance to previously lethal drugs. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
15. If you want that post you’d better apply quickly; the last day for ______ applications is Friday. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
16. In this paper I should like to report some of the results of an ______ study of two hundred London families. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
17. For the present, the party is expected to put its differences aside and campaign ______ for a victory at the forthcoming elections. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
18. Industry has developed rapidly in certain countries as raw materials are ______ available there. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
Check Also: Test Your Knowledge: English Grammar MCQs
19. I wasn’t at all impressed by the ______ he gave me. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
20. The problem of how to ______ the vast quantities of waste we produce requires our urgent attention. (English Vocabulary MCQs)
A) bring up
B) win over
C) find out
D) put off
E) deal with
Check Other Related “Materials for CSS English Grammar”
- Test Your Knowledge: English Grammar MCQs
- Important English Idioms with Meaning and Examples
- English Grammar MCQs: Test Your Language Skills with 50 Questions
- Commonly Misused Words and How to Avoid Them
- Mastering English Grammar: Essential Tips Inside
- The Top 10 English Grammar Rules You Need to Know
- Why English Precis Writing Matters and How to Improve Your Skills
- Avoiding Common Mistakes in English Precis Writing
- A Comprehensive Guide to English Verb Tenses
- How to Build a Strong Vocabulary: Tips and Techniques