Write the correct verb form in each of the following sentences. If in doubt, check the List of Irregular Verbs. Match Answers at the end.
1. eat – They haven’t _____ out in months.
2. caught – The umpire said that Reggie had _____ the ball before it touched the ground.
3. swim – They _____ across the bay in less than an hour.
4. drink – All the soda had been _____ by the end of the dance.
5. go – Charlotte had already _____ home by the time Peter arrived.
6. lay (to place) – After the burial, his widow _____ a wreath on the gravesite.
7. shine – The sun _____ all day.
8. shrink – When he put on the sweatshirt, he noticed that it had _____.
9. sing – The four of them have already _____ two songs.
10. slay – In the story the king was relieved when These us _____ the Minotaur.
11. steal – They concluded that the computer had been _____ over the weekend.
12. strive – All summer the crew _____ to finish the job in time.
13. awake – The sound of the smoke alarm had _____ the whole family.
14. wear – By Sunday the visitor had _____ out his welcome.
15. break – Dawn had just _____, and the floor was cold under my feet.
16. dive – No sooner had the submarine _____ than the destroyer appeared on the horizon.
17. creep – Last night the cat burglars _____ up the fire escape.
18. fling – After flunking the test, he _____ his book out the window.
19. swear – Although they _____ to secrecy, someone leaked the news to the press.
20. lead – John Wesley Powell ____ his expedition down the Green River in 1869.
|11||stolen||12||strove or strived|
|13||wakened or waked||14||worn|