WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
August 12, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Punjab govt sacks 25 SHOs to `avenge` treatment of PTI marchers
• Gearing up for a major action against those involved in the torture of PTPs leaders and workers on May 25, the Lahore police on Thursday shown the door to 25 station house officers (SHOs) for their alleged involvement in the `sordid` episode during the party`s Azadi March at the `behest of the Hamza Shehbaz administration`.
• Official sources indicate that axe will fall not only on civil and police bureaucrats but also some politicians of PML-N. The PTI-PML-Q Punjab government may give a surprise to PML-N by arresting some of its top leaders like former chief minister Hamza Shehbaz, federal Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah and Special Assistant to PM Ata Tarar.
• `Lahore police have suspended 25 SHOs from service and initiated inquiry against them,` Punjab Home Minister retired Col Muhammad Hashim said in a tweet
2. Navy helps rescue Indian vessel crew
• Nine members of an Indian vessel`s crew were rescued while the body of another was fished out of the Arabian Sea with Pakistan`s help, the Pakistan Navy (PN) announced on August 11, 2022.
• Sailing vessel Jamna Sagar with 10 crew members on board sank in the Arabian Sea near Gwadar on Aug 9, the PN news release said.
• Responding to a distress call, the Pakistan Maritime Information Centre requested a nearby merchant ship, MT Kruibeke, to provide necessary assistance to the crew of the drowning vessel.
• The merchant ship recovered nine crew members while continuing its voyage to its next port Dubai and onward, where it disembarked the crew
3. 108 children, 85 women raped in July: report
• At least 133 women were kidnapped and as many as 85 were subjected to rape across Pakistan during July this year, revealed the data compiled by the Sustainable Social Development Organization (SSDO) and the Centre for Research, Development and Communication (CRDC) through cases reported in the mainstream media.
• Similarly, at least 133 cases of physical assault on women were reported in the previous month with Punjab reporting the highest number of incidents. 77 cases were reported in Punjab, Sindh reported 34 cases, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa reported 16 incidents while in Islamabad six incidents of violence were reported. Balochistan had no reported case of physical assault
4. KP to revamp tribal district headquarters hospitals on its own
• The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has decided to revamp district headquarters hospitals in tribal districts from its own resources after the suspension of healthcare funding by the federal government at the start of the current financial year.
• In the 2022-23 budget, the government had announced the Revamping of Secondary Health Facilities Programme for settled districts at the cost of Rs20 billion in two years, officials told Dawn.
• They, however, said the centre`s refusal to continue funding health projects in tribal districts during the current fiscal had forced the province to cover all secondary health initiatives under that programme
5. Senior Taliban cleric, brother killed in Kabul suicide blast
• A senior Taliban cleric known for his fiery speeches against the militant Islamic State (IS) group and support for female education, was killed in a suicide blast at his madressah in the Afghan capital on August 11, 2022.
• Rahimullah Haqqani, who had recently spoken publicly in favour of girls being allowed to attend school, had survived at least two previous assassination attempts including one in Pakistan in October 2020.
• `The madrassa of Sheikh Rahimullah was targeted today and as a result he and one of his brothers were martyred,` Kabul police spokesman Khalid Zadran told AFP, adding that three others were wounded in the blast