WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
August 16, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. MBS accepts invitation to visit Pakistan
• Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman on August 15, 2022 agreed to visit Pakistan on the invitation of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
• The development came during a telephonic conversation between the two leaders where they also reiterated the resolve to strengthen bilateral ties and expedite cooperation in the fields of investment, energy and trade.
• According to a handout issued by the Prime Minister Office, the crown prince congratulated Shehbaz Sharif and the people of Pakistan on the Independence Day and conveyed his best wishes for the country`s progress and prosperity.
• The two leaders reviewed the progress made on the decisions taken during the prime minister`s visit to Riyadh in April, reads the handout
2. Kashmiris mark India`s independence with protests
• As India marked the 76th anniversary of its independence, Kashmiris on both sides of the Line of Control (LoC) protested the atrocities unleashed by New Dehli in the occupied region amid an increase in the intensity of `search and cordon operations` by the Indian forces in Srinagar and its surroundings.
• In Muzaffarabad, a rally was taken out under the aegis of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir government and Pasban-i-Hurriyat Jammu Kashmir (PHJK), an organisation of post-1989 migrants from held Kashmir, to remind the international community that there was no place for India in the hearts of the Kashmiris.
• Participants of the rally were wearing black armbands and walked from Burhan Wani Chowk to Garhi Pan Chowk, holding black flags
3. Parvez changes portfolios of four ministers, one adviser
• Chief Minister Parvez Elahi on August 15, 2022 made changes in four ministers` and an adviser`s portfolios to create room for more ministers. Initially an MPA and a special assistant have been assigned portfolios.
• A significant change is in the portfolio of Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) which has been given to former premier Imran Khan`s focal person on digital media Dr Arslan Khalid.
• After the fall of PTI government in April this year, Dr Khalid allegedly ran a social media campaign against the establishment.
• Law enforcement agencies had raided his house in Wapda Town and reportedly took away some laptops and cell phones
4. UAE to help Pakistan set up plasma farming facilities
• Ministry of National Health Services (NHS) in a landmark development has discussed development of the plasma f arming facilities (PFF) with United Arab Emirates (UAE).
• A UAE mission, which is on a visit to Pakistan, aims to conduct feasibility study for establishment of PFF in Pakistan based on World Health Organisation (WHO) standards as the blood services in country are mostly provided by hospitals` blood banks with no functional separation of the plasma processes into production and utilisation.
• WHO Adviser on Blood Safety Dr Hassan Abbas Zaheer, while talking to Dawn, said that it was a significant development asPakistan does not have even a single PFF despite the fact that there are a few hundred thousand patients suffering from immunodeficiency disorder
5. Mehdi Shah appointed GB governor
• President Dr Arif Alvi on August 15, 2022 approved the appointment of Syed Mehdi Shah as the Gilgit-Baltistan governor, on the advice of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
• Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) loyalist Raja Jalal Hussain Magpoon had tendered his resignation from the office in June, which was accepted by the president.
• Through a statement, the Presidency said the appointment of Syed Mehdi Shah was made under Section 33(3) of the Gilgit-Baltistan Order 2018 on the advice of the prime minister