WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
August 28, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Leadership wades in as Balochistan, KP overwhelmed by floodwaters
• As the death toll from the calamitous floods sweeping the country crossed the 1,000 mark on August 27, 2022, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Army Chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa visited the flood-hit areas of Balochistan and Sindh and vowed to make all-out efforts to compensate and rehabilitate all those affected or displaced by floodwaters.
• In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, around 350,000 people were evacuated from flood prone areas of Nowshera and Charsadda districts, while at least 14 were killed in rain-related incidents in Lower Dir, Mansehra and Kohistan.
• Meanwhile, fears of another flood in the River Kabul were averted after the Nowshera administration and Wapda authorities managed to restrict water discharges from the Tarbela and Warsak dams, preventing water levels from rising further.
2. Flooded lower Sindh reels in pain and destruction
• Rows of improvised tents dot rural Sindh, devastated by successive spells of torrential monsoon rains since July. But Wali Kohli is determined to face the havoc wrought by extreme weather conditions this summer.
• At 7:30am, she is ready to prepare food for her husband, Ganga Ram, and children out of the wheat flour her husband bought. Wali was, however, worried about her buffalo that sits paces away on a roadside facing an irrigation channel. `It is sick and supposed to deliver a baby,` she said while kneading the wheat flour.
• Her house made of thatched straw has already caved in. Its remains are surrounded by muddy rainwater. She lives in a village located on a landowner`s farmlands she tills with her husband
3. UK extending help to people affected by floods
• The United Kingdom (UK) on August 27, 2022 announced that it was providing urgent support to Pakistan after extreme monsoon rainfall in the south of the country killed at least 900 people and flooding affected millions of people.
• In response to the disaster, the UK would provide up to £1.5 million support to relief efforts. The United Nations (UN) was carrying out a needs assessment over the weekend, and a UN appeal was expected to be launched on Tuesday, Lord Tariq Ahmad of Wimbledon, Minister of State for South and Central Asia, North Africa, UN and the Commonwealth and the Prime Minister`s Special Representative on Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict, said in a statement.
4. US donates 9m Covid vaccines to Pakistan
• As part of its commitment to provide 77 million Covid vaccines to Pakistan, the United States donated another batch of 9m paediatric and adult doses on Friday in partnership with global vaccine-sharing scheme Covax.
• The US is the single largest donor of Covid vaccines to Pakistan. Besides Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, Washington also recently donated four mobile testing labs worth $4.6m to the National Institute of Health through USAID
5. ADB to help govt attract investment in infrastructure
• The Asian Development Bank will provide technical assistance to Pakistan on a grant basis to support the government`s efforts to create an enabling environment for infrastructure financing and public-private partnership at the federal level.
• In doing so, the government hopes to attract private finance for infrastructure investments in priority sectors such as roads, housing, water and sanitation, aviation and technology all high priorities in the government`s three-year Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP).
• The ADB technical assistance will help the government prepare the project, design, the reform programme, and develop the capacity to implement the promotion of sustainable public-private partnerships programme, according to the project document