WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
December 01, 2022: National Current Affairs MCQs
1. Four lives lost in TTP-claimed suicide attack
• At least four people were killed and 24 others injured on November 30, 2022 in a suicide attack on a police truck in Baleli area, some 15 kilometres from the provincial capital, on the Quetta-Chaman national highway. A policeman was among those who lost their lives in the incident.
• A suicide bomber travelling in a rickshaw targeted the truck carrying police contingent for the security of polio workers who were administering vaccines during an ongoing campaign in Kuchlak and other areas of Quetta district.
• The banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the incident and confirmed it was a suicide attack. The attack comes a couple of days after the militant group called off its ceasefire with the government and asked its combatants to carry out attacks across the country
2. New wing to oversee transition to interest-free banking
• Pakistan`s banking sector could become interest-free in five years, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said on November 30, 2022, pledging to set up an Islamic finance wing under his ministry within a week to fast-track the implementation of a court verdict that directed the government to enforce interest-free bankingbytheendof2027.
• Speaking at a seminar on interest-free banking here, Mr Dar urged the banking sector to move towards promoting Islamic banking.
• He also called on the central bank and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan to work in a `positive` manner in this regard
3. ECP to hold LG polls in Punjab in April 2023
• Putting its foot down, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on November 30, 2022 decided to hold local government (LG) elections in Punjab in the last week of April 2023, nearly 16 months after the expiry of the term of local bodies in the province.
• The decision was taken at a meeting held with Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sikandar Sultan Raja in the chair.
• ECP Secretary Omar Hamid Khan informed the participants in the meeting that the commission had to work twice for the delimitation of constituencies to conduct local elections as the local government laws had been changed twice, though the term of the local bodies in Punjab ended on January 1, 2022.
• The forum was told that since the Punjab government notified the Punjab Local Government Act on Nov 16, 2022, the Election Commission of Pakistan was going to start work of delimitation for a third time
4. Punjab posts 4pc drop in gender gap between male, female voters
• The Election Commission in Punjab claims to have reduced the gender gap among male and female voters down to eight per cent through its awareness-raising campaign.
• The difference in registration of male and female voters was 12pc before the 2018 general election which has now been brought down by 4pc to 8pc, Joint Provincial Election Commissioner, Punjab, Saeen Bakhsh Chunnar told a meeting on Gender and Disability Electoral Working Group held here on November 30, 2022.
• He said civil society organisations (CSOs) supported the election commission`s campaign for bridging the gap between male and female voters
5. Beijing relies on Pakistan to project its might, Pentagon report notes
• China relies on Pakistan for projecting its military and economic might as Islamabad remains a key Beijing ally, says the US Department of Defence.
• The China Military Power 2022 report released examines how China seeks to achieve its `national rejuvenation` objective by 2049 with the help of international partners, such as Pakistan.
• According to the report, China ranks Pakistan as its only `all-weather strategic partner` while Russia as its only `comprehensive strategic partner with coordination relations` During the last five years, China has expanded ties with both of its historical partners, Pakistan and Russia.
• Pakistan is also one of the places that China has likely `considered as locations for military logistics facilities`