WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
December 04, 2022: National Current Affairs MCQs
1. Gen Munir warns Delhi against any `misadventure`
• In his first visit to Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) after assuming command, Chief of Army Staff Gen Syed Asim Munir on December 3, 2022 warned India against any misadventure, saying that such a move would be met with `the full might of our armed forces`.
• According to an Inter Services Public Relations statement, the army chief made the remarks during a visit to frontline troops in Rakhchikri Sector, along the Line of Control (LoC) in AJK.
• The COAS said, `We have noticed highly irresponsible statements from Indian leadership on Gilgit Baltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir recently.
• `Let me make it categorically clear, [that] Pakistan`s armed forces are ever ready, not only to defend every inch of our motherland, but to take the fight back to the enemy, if ever, war is imposed on us,` he emphasised
2. Centre censured for withholding provincial shares
• The governments of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa came down hard on the federal government on December 3, 2022 over the `ongoing financial crisis`, alleging that the Centre had withheld provincial shares at a time when they were conducting flood relief operations.
• Since coming to power in April, the coalition government had not transferred Rs120 billion to the KP government alone, KP Finance Minister Taimur Khan Jhagra told reporters at a press conference in Lahore. He was accompanied by Punjab Finance Minister Mohsin Leghari and Punjab government spokesperson Musarrat Jamshed Cheema.
• Of this withheld amount, Rs30bn was meant for the newly merged tribal areas, stifling development projects, Mr Jhagra said, insisting that cutting off these areas from the mainstream could have far-reaching security related consequences that would not be limited to just Peshawar and KP.
3. Govt extends BISP benefit to trans people
• In a landmark move, the federal government has decided to extend social welfare cover to the transgender community and invited them to register with Benazir Income Support Programme (BISP).
• The move, aimed at structural reforms in the social welfare schemes, was approved by the BISP board meeting chaired by Federal Minister for Poverty Alleviation and Social Safety Shazia Atta Marri.
• In a video message, she said this was the first time in Pakistan`s history that trans people were being provided the opportunity to become beneficiaries of the Benazir Kafalat Programme (BKP)
4. UK, Greece in `secret talks` on Parthenon Marbles
• The British Museum and the Greek prime minister are in the `advanced stage` of `secret talks` over the `possible return` of the Parthenon Marbles, local media reported on December 3, 2022.
• The ancient sculptures, also known as the Elgin Marbles, were taken from the Parthenon temple in Athens in the early 19th century by British diplomat Lord Elgin and have been held by the British Museum ever since. Greece wants them returned.
• The behind-the-scenes talks between British Museum chair George Osborne and Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis `have been taking place in London since November 2021`, daily newspaper Ta Nea reported
5. Macron caps US visit with New Orleans trip, meetup with Musk
• President Emmanuel Macron on Friday visited New Orleans, a city emblematic of historic Franco American ties, to promote the French language and conclude his state visit to the United States.
• The French president, on the third day of a US trip that included a lavish reception at the White House a night earlier, strolled New Orleans`s historic French Quarter and held an unannounced face-to-face meeting with Twitter owner Elon Musk.
• Macron said the two had a `clear and honest` discussion during an hour-long meeting, and that he conveyed to Musk his and Europe`s concerns about content moderation on the influential platform