WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
December 29, 2022: National Current Affairs MCQs
1. Terrorism tops agenda as new brass takes stock
• The army on December 28, 2022 signalled a strong response to the country`s escalating terrorism problem.
• The corps commanders at their monthly conference at the General Headquarters the First after the change of command last month, according to ISPR, `resolved to fight against terrorists without any distinction and eliminate this menace as per the aspirations of the people of Pakistan` The two-day conference, which began on Tuesday, was chaired by Chief of Army Staff Gen Syed Asim Munir.
• The media statement indicated that the focus of the discussion remained largely on the resurgence of terrorism in the country, even though the commanders also undertook a `review of professional and organisational matters of the Army`.
2. Efforts to resolve Gwadar unrest yet to bear fruit
• Tensions continued to simmer in the port city of Gwadar on December 28, 2022 with a shutter down strike continuing for a third day as police arrested a number of protesters amid clashes with supporters of the Haq Do Tehreek (HDT).
• Although the home minister had directed police officials to register a case against the HDT chief after firing during clashes a day earlier claimed the life of a policeman, an FIR was yet to be registered against Maulana Hidayatur Rehman.
• Sources told Dawn that the government had contacted Jamaat-i-Islami leader Liaquat Baloch to help restore normalcy and resolving the issues that have become a bone of contention between the government and the HDT.
• Reportedly, Maulana Rehman belongs to the JI and also holds the position of Balochistan general secretary
3. Punjab begins digital census process to meet April deadline
• The Punjab government has begun digital census process, targeting its completion by April the month Election Commission of Pakistan has scheduled local government elections in the province.
• As a pilot project the digital census has successfully been completed in 33 districts of the country.
• The Provincial Census Coordination Committee, headed by Chief Secretary Abdullah Khan Sumbal, met at civil secretariat on December 28, 2022 and instructed relevant officials to complete measures related to training of master trainers, trainers and field staff and security. Some 61,000 field staff members are being drawn from the education department
4. Two soldiers wounded in Waziristan suicide attack
• Two soldiers were wounded when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into a security check post in Mirali area of North Waziristan tribal district on Thursday.
• `It was a vehicle-borne attack. The suicide bomber rammed the explosive-laden vehicle into the wall of the check post in Mirali,` local official said. He added that two soldiers sustained injuries in the attack.
• Local police said that the area was immediately cordoned off after the incident and a search operation was launched.
• Officials stated that a check post of the security forces established on Bypass road came under attack
5. UN report uses Pakistan floods to warn of more disasters
• This summer`s floods in Pakistan were a stark reminder that the changing climate will bring more disasters in the near future, warns a UN report released on December 28, 2022.
• The United Nations` 2022 Year in Review report on Climate and Environment notes that `whilst some regions suffered from a lack of water` in the outgoing year, others were hit by catastrophic floods.
• `In Pakistan, a national emergency was declared in August, following heavy flooding and landslides caused by monsoon rains which, at the height of the crisis, saw around a third of the country underwater. Tens of millions were displaced,` the report adds