WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
July 27, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. SC voids Hamza election, Elahi is new CM
• In a decision that was awaited with bated breath by political observers, the media and all the parties involved, the Supreme Court late on July 26, 2022 declared Chaudhry Parvez Elahi as the duly elected chief minister of Punjab for securing 186 votes against the 179 of his opponent, PML-N`s Hamza Shehbaz, in the July 22 runoff poll for the coveted office of the province.
• Later, in the small hours of Wednesday morning, President Dr Arif Alvi administered the oath to CM-designate Elahi at Aiwan-i-Sadr in Islamabad.
• Mr Elahi had to rush from Lahore to the federal capital after Punjab Governor Balighur Rehman refused to carry out the job
2. US to donate 16 million more anti-Covid Pfizer doses
• The United States, which has already provided 61.5 million Covid-19 vaccine doses, will further donate 16 million doses of paediatric Pfizer vaccine to Pakistan besides an additional $20 million to supplement Pakistan`s vaccination drive.
• According to a statement issued by the health ministry on Tuesday, this was revealed during a US-Pakistan Health Dialogue hosted by the US State Department, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington.
• Health Minister Abdul Qadir Patel said Pakistan and United States would deepen their health cooperation in areas of immunisation, nutrition, mother`s health, child survival and health security across borders
3. President okays minister`s appointment
• President Dr Arif Alvi on July 26, 2022 accorded his approval to appointment of Sardar Ayaz Sadiq as federal minister.
• The president approved the appointment on the advice of the prime minister under Article 92 (I) of the Constitution
4. IMF cuts global growth outlook
• Surging inflation and severe slowdowns in the United States and China prompted the IMF on July 26, 2022 to downgrade its outlook for the global economy this year and next, while warning that the situation could get much worse.
• `The outlook has darkened significantly since April,` said IMF chief economist Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas. `The world may soon be teetering on the edge of a global recession, only two years after the last one.
• The world`s three largest economies, the United States, China and the euro area are stalling with important consequences for the global outlook,` he said at a briefing
5. Russia plans to quit International Space Station `after 2024`
• Russia has decided to quit the International Space Station `after 2024`, the newly-appointed chief of Moscow`s space agency told President Vladimir Putin on July 26, 2022.
• The announcement comes as tensions rage between the Kremlin and the West over Moscow`s military intervention in Ukraine and several rounds of unprecedented sanctions against Russia. Russia and the United States have worked side by side on the ISS, which has been in orbit since 1998.
• `Of course, we will fulfil all our obligations to our partners, but the decision to leave this station after 2024 has been made,` Yury Borisov, who was appointed Roscosmos chief in mid-July, told Putin. `I think that by this time we will start putting together a Russian orbital station,` Borisov added, calling it the space programme`s main `priority`