WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
March 30, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Elahi begins quest to occupy CM`s office, save PM
• Less than 24 hours after Prime Minister Imran Khan announced Chaudhry Parvez Elahi as the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf`s (PTI) nominee for the Punjab chief minister after incumbent Usman Buzdar was asked to resign, the Punjab Assembly speaker sprung into action on Tuesday to muster as much support as possible for his election to the new office.
• Mr Elahi got in touch with the disgruntled Jehangir Tareen group to ensure it supported him in the face of the joint opposition`s announcement to field its candidate against him. He also contacted some dissident MNAs of the ruling PTI, persuading them not to support the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan
2. KP cabinet approves Rs2.5bn food subsidy for Ramazan
• The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa cabinet on March 29, 2022 approved a Rs2.5 billion Ramazan subsidy package to ensure uninterrupted supply of edible items to the residents at subsidised rates during the upcoming month of fasting.
• The cabinet met with Chief Minister Mahmood Khan in the chair. Ministers, advisers to the chief minister, and administrative secretaries attended the meeting.
• Spokesman for the government Barrister Mohammad Ali Saif told reporters afterwards that 2,800 points had been established in the province to sell 20kg bag of wheat flour at the subsidised rate of Rs800 instead of the regular Rs1100 three times a day during Ramazan, while 10kg bag would be sold for Rs400
3. Six Pakistanis martyred as UN chopper shot down in DR Congo
• Six Pakistani peacekeepers were martyred in the Democratic Republic of Congo on March 28, 2022 when rebels shot down a United Nations helicopter. One Russian and one Serbian peacekeepers also died in the crash.
• The helicopter was among two carrying out reconnaissance for the UN mission in DR Congo, according to a statement by the country`s army on Tuesday. Those on the helicopter were assessing the movements of communities that had been attacked by a rebel group in order to coordinate humanitarian assistance.
• The M23 rebel group attacked several villages in DR Congo`s east, according to the statement
4. Pakistan seeks early end to Russia-Ukraine conflict
• Prime Minister Imran Khan on March 29, 2022 underscored Pakistan`s potential role for mediation in the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
• In a telephone conversation with President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky, Mr Khan said: `Nonpartisan countries like Pakistan are in a position to play a helpful role in reinforcing efforts for cessation of hostilities and a diplomatic solution.
• This was the first time that the two leaders spoke to each other since Russia started the war against Ukraine.
• Mr Khan was visiting Moscow when Russian forces invaded Ukraine on Feb 24
5. Pakistani organisation tasked with boosting health sector capacity in 12 countries
• The Health Services Academy (HSA), a public sector university in Pakistan, will help enhance the capacity of 12 Muslim countries of Africa in the public health sector under an agreement signed by the academy with the Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU) here on March 29, 2022.
• The agreement was signed by HSA`s vice chancellor Dr Shahzad Ali Khan and IUIU`s rector Prof Dr Ismail Simbwa Gyagenda.
• The IUIU was established by the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to deal with 12 African countries.
• Under the agreement, the Resource Linkage Programme of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and the OIC would provide financial support to the HSA which would utilise its own technical resources to achieve the objective