WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
May 17, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Kharadar blast claims woman`s life, leaves 12 injured
• In a third blast in as many weeks, a woman died and at least 12 people sustained injuries when an improvised explosive device (IED) attached to a motorbike went off near Boutlan Market in Kharadar late on May 16, 2022 night, officials and witnesses said.
• A police van passing through the famed Kaghzi Bazaar near Boulton Market was apparently the target of the blast that claimed the life of a young woman travelling in a rickshaw and left a dozen others, including a police officer and an eight year-old boy, wounded.
• The police vehicle and a few other vehicles, including two-wheelers and a three wheeler, were damaged in the blast that also triggered a fire, showed video clips aired by some TV channels soon after the IED blast that took place at 9.50pm
2. Pakistan, US resume efforts to rebuild ties
• Pakistan and the United States resume their efforts to rebuild bilateral ties with a series of meetings between their foreign policy chiefs in New York this week.
• Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari reaches New York on Tuesday (May 16, 2022) to attend a US-initiated UN meeting on food security and for a bilateral meeting with Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
• Mr Blinken had invited Mr Bhutto-Zardari for the ministerial meeting on `Global Food Security Call to Action` that is being held on May 18
3. National polio drive announced after detection of three cases
• As three cases of polio have been reported after a gap of 15 months, the national polio programme has decided to launch a campaign across the country to boost the immunity level of 43.3 million children up to the age of five years.
• Moreover, considering a massive movement across the Afghan border, it has been decided to synchronise the campaign with Afghanistan. Earlier, the campaign had to be held at sub-national level or in selected union councils but after detection of the recent cases it has been decided to conduct it across the country.
• Minister for National Health Services (NHS) Abdul Qadir Patel on May 16, 2022 said the government was committed to eradicating the virus and will take all possible steps to achieve the target
4. OIC slams Delhi over bids to redraw poll boundaries in IHK
• The general secretariat of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has expressed deep concern over India`s attempts to redraw the electoral boundaries of India-held Kashmir (IHK) altering the demographic structure of the territory and violating the rights of the Kashmiri people.
• The delimitation exercises are in direct contravention of the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and international law, including the 4th Geneva Convention.
• It urged the international community, particularly the UN Security Council, to take immediate cognisance of the grave implications of such delimitation exercises
5. Macron names first French woman PM in over 30 years
• President Emmanuel Macron on May 16, 2022 named Labour Minister Elisabeth Borne as his new prime minister, the first woman to head the French government in over 30 years, the Elysee said in a statement.
• Outgoing French Prime Minister Jean Castex earlier handed his resignation to the president, part of a widely expected reshuffle to make way for a new government in the wake of Macron`s re-election in April.
• The departure of Castex, who was a surprise choice for the role in 2020, enables Macron to reshape the cabinet ahead of crucial parliamentary polls in June