WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
November 04, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Attempt on Imran`s life shocks nation
• In what appeared to be an assassination attempt, former prime minister Imran Khan was shot at and injured on November 3, 2022 evening when a suspect, standing in front of the container carrying the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chief and senior party leaders, showered a volley of bullets with an automatic pistol when the paraty`s `Hagaaqi Azadi` march reached Wazirabad`s Allahwala Chowk.
• It later transpired that a PTI supporter, identified as Muazzam Nawaz, had lost his life, while 14 party leaders and workers, including Senator Faisal Javed Khan, MNA Ahmad Nasir Chattha and Omer Mayar, were among the injured.
• PTI Chairman Imran Khan, who sustained multiple bullet injuries in his leg, was reported to be stable and shifted to Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital in Lahore. Other injured were shifted to local hospitals for immediate treatment. Mr Khan was operated upon and pellets removed from his thigh and shin
2. ADB approves $5m for Balochistan water project
• The Asian Development Bank has approved a financing of $5 million for preparation of design and planning of the Naulong Integrated Water Resources Development project in Jhal Magsi, Balochistan.
• The financing will ensure high-quality design, stakeholder engagement and safeguards and procurement readiness and support of the ensuing project. It builds on the project planning documents, including the feasibility study and associated studies commissioned by the Wapda.
• The readiness financing will validate the project design and update social and environmental safeguards and other due diligence assessments. The financing has already been included in the ADB`s indicative country operations business plan for Pakistan covering the period between 2021 and 2023
3. Ties with Pakistan `none of your business`, Chinese official tells US
• The Chinese feel that the United States should not urge China and Pakistan to renegotiate Beijing`s debt and should not `bad mouth` the Pakistan-China relationship, a former Chinese official has said.
• Speaking at a two-day seminar on US-Pakistan relations, Yun Sun, the former chairperson of China`s Special Technology Zones Authority, said Pakistan`s relationship with the US was a factor in China`s overall strategy for South Asia, but `China has plenty of confidence that its relationship with Pakistan is going to continue regardless of the modality of US-Pakistan relations.
• She, however, said that China was also adjusting or recalibrating its policy and expectations towards Pakistan, especially in terms of the CPEC
4. 2m children sans education as floods destroyed 27,000 schools: UNICEF
• The United Nations International Children`s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) said on November 3, 2022 that schools for more than two million children in Pakistan remained inaccessible as severe flooding has destroyed 27,000 schools in the country.
• `Almost overnight, millions of Pakistan`s children lost family members, homes, safety and their education, under the most traumatic circumstances,` said Unicef`s Global Director of Education Robert Jenkins, upon returning to New York from flood-affected areas of Pakistan.
• `More than two months since the devastating floods engulfed large areas of the country, the tops of school buildings are only just becoming visible in some of the flood-hit areas. It is estimated that it will be weeks, even months before the flood waters completely subside,` he said
5. AJK PM orders launch of campaign to protect environment
• The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) has been directed to launch an effective campaign to mitigate environmental pollution without delay, including applying a complete ban on plastic shopping bags after a grace period of one and a half months.
• This direction was given by Prime Minister Sardar Tanveer Ilyas at a briefing by EPA Director General Sardar Adnan Khurshid here the other day. AJK Minister for Local Government and Rural Development Khawaja Farooq Ahmed and Minister for Finance and Inland revenue Abdul Majid Khan were also present on the occasion.
• Pointing out that the hospital waste was among major causes of environmental degradation, the premier directed officials in all health facilities to install insulators in their premises and not to establish vehicle washing stations at natural springs