WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
October 11, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. School kids injured as militants destroy Swat peace
• One man was killed while two students were injured when unidentified militants opened fire on a school van in Charbagh tehsil on October 10, 2022.
• After the incident, hundreds of students and teachers took to the streets in several areas to protest against the rising tide of insurgency in the area.
• According to Rescue 1122 officials, the school van was taking students to a school at Gulibagh in Charbagh tehsil when unidentified assailants, riding on a bike, opened fire. The driver was killed on the spot, while two students were moved to the hospital after sustaining injuries.
• As per latest reports, the injured students were in stable condition
2. Tessori sworn in as Sindh governor
• Muhammad Kamran Khan Tessori, better known as Kamran Tessori, took oath as the 34th governor of Sindh on October 10, 2022 amid a deluge of comments and criticism over the chequered history of his political loyalties, close ties with the all-powerful establishment and his alleged role, which led to a split in the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQMP) in 2018.
• Mr Tessori became the governor exactly a month after MQM-P took him back into the fold, appointing him deputy convener of its coordination committee following the 2018 split.
• Sindh High Court Chief Justice Ahmad Ali M. Shaikh administered the oath of office to the new incumbent in a ceremony held at the Governor`s House, which was also attended by Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, members of the provincial cabinet, MQM-P leaders, businessmen and other city notables
3. PM Shehbaz to be vice chair for COP27 moot
• The United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27) announced on October 10, 2022 that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif will be the vice-chairperson for the event.
• The distinction came on the back of Prime Minister Shehbaz`s proactive leadership and global efforts on the climate change action plan, APP reported.
• Egypt`s President Abdul Fattah Al-Sisi has invited Mr Sharif to co-chair the meeting. The prime minister will jointly chair the round table conference along with President Al-Sisi and prime minister of Norway.
• The development has come at a time when Pakistan is reeling from the devastation caused by unprecedented floods and torrential rains
4. Additional EU aid sought for rehabilitation as WFP steps up operations
• While appreciating the European Union and its member states` support for mobilising relief funds worth 123 million euros as well as assistance in kind, Pakistan has sought additional assistance for the rehabilitation and reconstruction phase.
• In a related development, the World Food Programme (WFP) also ramped up its emergency operations for the flood-hit families.
• The request for additional support was conveyed during the EU-Pakistan Joint Commission meeting concluded in Islamabad, says an EU press release on Monday.
• The two sides agreed to cooperate to address climate change-related challenges
5. First women`s varsity okayed for Mansehra
• Special assistant to the prime minister Sardar Shahjehan Yusuf on October 10, 2022 said the federal government had approved the first women`s university for Mansehra district along with a long-delayed water scheme.
• Mr Yusuf told reporters after addressing a lawyers` gathering on the district bar`s premises here that an appropriate building had been selected for the women`s university, which would begin classes in the next academic session.
• He said the prime minister would soon inaugurate the multibillion rupees `gravity flow water supply scheme` for which the Saudi and Pakistani governments had already finalised modalities. The premier`s aide said the last PM Imran Khan-led government had abandoned the mega project