WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
October 15, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. NSC vows firm response to resurging terrorism
• The National Security Committee (NSC) on October 14, 2022 vowed to respond firmly to resurgent terrorism in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and agreed on a plan for revitalising the counterterrorism apparatus.
• The meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and attended by ministers, services chiefs, and heads of intelligence agencies, was convened in the backdrop of large-scale protests in Swat against growing insecurity in the scenic valley. It was, therefore, a first acknowledgment of sorts at the highest level of the deteriorating situation.
• The NSC`s resolve coincided with defence minister Khawaja Asif`s remarks who, separately, said that recent talks with the outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) had remained inconclusive and `bore no concrete outcomes`, but added that armed forces were fully capable of containing any threat to national security
2. Three killed, six injured in Mastung bomb attack
• Three people were killed and six others injured in a bomb attack targeting two vehicles in the mountainous area of Qabu in Mastung district on October 14, 2022.
• Levies officials said the vehicles were carrying the people who were returning after burying a man kille d by unknown armed men in the Dasht area. A tribal elder, Mir Shahnawaz Bangulzai, was also in one of the vehicles, but he escaped unhurt in the attack.
• Sources said an improvised explosive device (IED) planted at a roadside went off when the vehicles were passing through the area.
• Three people died on the spot. The bodies and the injured were taken to Mastung district hospital
3. UK to give additional £10m aid for flood-affected areas
• Lord Tariq Ahmad of Wimbledon, the United Kingdom`s minister of state for South Asia, on October 14, 2022 announced an additional £10 million in aid for flood relief efforts in Pakistan.
• The minister met with key government counterparts, community leaders and aid agencies to discuss the response to the humanitarian crisis and longterm recovery for the country after he arrived in Islamabad on Friday.
• The UK is providing further humanitarian support to Pakistan following devastating Hoods that killed over1,000 people and affected more than 33 million, Lord Tariq Ahmad told Dawn
4. Ex-BHC CJ gunned down in Kharan mosque attack
• Former Federal Shariat Court and Balochistan High Court chief justice Mohammad Noor Meskanzai was assassinated while offering prayer at a mosque in Kharan town, some 220 kilometres from Khuzdar through Basima-Kharan (N30) highway, on October 14, 2022 evening.
• His brother-in-law, Haji Mumtaz Ahmed, was also critically wounded when gunmen targeted them from outside the mosque, located at Purana Ghazi Road near Justice Meskanzai`s residence.
• In a late-night development, the Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
• Kharan District Police Officer (DPO) Asif Haleem earlier told Dawn that Justice Meskanzai, 66, was offering Isha prayer when he was shot at.
5. CM changes Hashim Dogar`s portfolio
• Chief Minister Chaudhry Parvez Elahi on October 14, 2022 did not accept the resignation of former home and prisons minister retired Col Hashim Dogar as provincial minister and changed his portfolio as irrigation minister.
• Mr Dogar had tendered his resignation as home and prisons minister on Oct 11, citing personal and health reasons.
• He told this reporter that party chairman Imran Khan had also told him that he would get his portfolio changed