WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
August 06, 2023: National Current Affairs MCQs News
1. Imran sent to jail for graft
• After a trial court in Islamabad sentenced him to three years in prison in the Toshakhana case on August 5, 2023, former prime minister Imran Khan was arrested from his Lahore residence and shifted to Attock jail in a swift police operation.
• The police, already on standby in anticipation of a verdict in the hearing, swung into action minutes after Additional District and Sessions Judge Humayun Dilawar announced the verdict, which also disqualified the PTI chairman from contesting general elections
2. Election delay `certain` as CCI ratifies latest census
• The Council of Common Interests (CCI) approved the results of the 2023 digital census on August 5, 2023, making it almost certain that general elections may not be held this year as a fresh delimitation, which may take months, has now become compulsory.
• Although some of the ruling allies, including the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), earlier opposed holding the next general elections under the fresh census, its silence in the CCI meeting has raised questions
3. Population surpasses 240m, new census shows
• The country`s population has crossed 240 million and the growth rate stands at 2.55 per cent, according to the 2023 national census, whose results were approved by the Council of Common Interests (CCI) on Saturday.
• And as the government has reiterated that the general election, due to take place later this year will be held using the new census findings, it indicates polls could be delayed by several months.
• The latest census shows the country`s population has jumped to 241.49m in 2023, an increase of around 33.8 million people compared to 2017, when the last census was conducted, and over around 110m compared to the 1998 census
4. Imran becomes first former prime minister to be kept in Attock jail
• Former prime minister Imran Khan was taken to the district jail Attock on Saturday evening after his arrest from Zaman Park Lahore following his conviction in the Toshakhana case by a trial court in Islamabad.
• The PTl chief was taken to the jail by road amid strict security. All roads leading to the jail were cordoned off by heavily-guarded personnel of law-enforcement agencies. As soon as the directive to Attock police was received, heavy reinforcement of police and Elite Force was made around the jail
5. Torkham border closed after scuffle between guards
• A scuffle between the border guards of Pakistan and Afghanistan caused the temporary closure of Torkham crossing point on Saturday.
• Sources at the point told Dawn that Afghan guards exchanged hot words with their Pakistani counterparts and then scuffled with them when the former stopped and beat up a minor Afghan boy for taking sugar in a shopping bag across the border