WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
February 17, 2022: National Current Affairs MCQs
1. Punjab PA speaker requests president to announce poll date
• Punjab Assembly Speaker Sibtain Khan has requested President Dr Arif Alvi to exercise his powers and announce date for the elections of the provincial assembly in the wake of `deliberate inaction` on part of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).
• Stating that the ECP`s inaction is tantamount to defiance of its constitutional obligations, the speaker says the president can announce election date while exercising his powers vested in him under Section 57(1) of the Election Act 2017 to fulfill the constitutional requirement of holding general elections within the stipulated period.
• The speaker has made the request in a letter written to President Dr Arif Alvi explaining all circumstances from dissolution of the Punjab Assembly, to persuasion of the governor to give a date for elections, governor`s eventual refusal, case landing in the Lahore High Court, direction going to the ECP for holding of elections within the stipulated time frame to eventual inaction of the Commission
2. Pakistan denies supplying ammunition to Ukraine
• The Foreign Office on February 16, 2023 questioned the accuracy of reports claiming that Pakistan was providing ammunition to Ukraine in its war with Russia.
• `The reporting about supply of defence items by Pakistan to Ukraine is not accurate,` Foreign Office spokesperson Mumtaz Zahra Baloch said at the weekly media briefing.
• Reports claiming that Pakistan was providing ammunition to Ukraine have regularly surfaced in media since middle of the last year, but it is rare for Islamabad to have officially denied such involvement in the Russia Ukraine conflict.
• France 24 had a couple of days back reported that `run-down ammunition supplies are one of Kyiv`s most pressing concerns, with Ukraine and its partners resorting to far-flung countries like South Korea and Pakistan as sources of artillery munitions`
3. Military drill with S. Arabia held
• The closing ceremony of the fourth Pakistan-Saudi Arabia Joint Military Exercise Al Kassah-IV was held at the Military College of Engineering, Risalpur, on February 16, 2023.
• It was the fourth joint exercise of the Al-Kassah series as part of bilateral military cooperation between the two friendly countries. The troops from Royal Saudi Land Forces and Pakistan Army participated in the exercise, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.
• The two-week-long exercise was aimed at sharing mutual experiences in the field of route search, area search, vehicle/personal search, and are a clearance operations. The drills and techniques about IED, vehicle improvised explosive devices, anti-suicide, victim operated improvised explosive devices and handling of explosives were the special focus areas of the joint exercise
4. Notification declaring Murree a district withdrawn
• After the decision of the Punjab caretaker cabinet, the provincial government withdrew the notification to declare Murree as a district and it has now become a tehsil of the Rawalpindi district.
• Commissioner Liaquat Ali Chatha told that the government withdrew the notification and now Murree and Kotli Sattian have become tehsils of Rawalpindi district with immediate effect.
• He said that earlier, the provincial cabinet made the decision to give Murree status of a district and now the provincial caretaker government has taken the decision to withdraw the notification in this regard
5. SC orders big industry to pay 4pc super tax
• The Supreme Court on February 16, 2023 ordered the large-scale manufacturing industries to paya4percentsupertax.
• A three-member bench comprising Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial, Justice Ayesha A. Malik and Justice Athar Minallah heard the federal government and the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) appeals regarding the recovery of supertax.
• It should be noted that various industries had challenged the super tax levied in budget 2022-23 with retrospective effect after which the Sindh High Court invalidated the collection of the 10pc super tax from the last fiscal year.
Leave a Comment