WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
July 13, 2023: National Current Affairs MCQs News
1. Premier promises timely elections, sans exact date
• Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif`s categorical statement that he would leave the government on completion of the five-year term of the National Assembly in August has made clear, to some extent, the intentions of the rulers regarding elections in the country this year, but there is still a question mark on the timing of the polls.
• Speaking at the launching ceremony of the Pakistan Endowment Fund for Education on Wednesday, the prime minister declared that the term of his government would end next month.
• He, however, did not clear the confusion about whether the coalition partners would go for the normal dissolution of the National Assembly on completion of its term on August 12, or he would advise the president for an early dissolution
2. IMF board green-lights long-awaited $3bn loan
• The International Monetary Fund (IMF) said on July 12, 2023 that its executive board had approved a $3 billion loan agreement for Pakistan, unlocking crucial fundingfor the troubled economy.
• In a statement, the IMF said its executive board green-lit the nine-month standby arrangement (SBA) in order `to support the authorities` economic stabilisation programme`.
• This follows a staff-level agreement between the Fund and Pakistan announced last month, and the latest approval allows an immediate disbursement of around $1.2bn
3. 12 soldiers martyred in Zhob, Sui attacks
• As many as 12 soldiers of the Pakistan Army embraced martyrdom in separate military operations in the Zhob and Sui areas of Balochistan, while seven `heavily armed` militants who reportedly attacked the security forces were also killed, the military`s media wing said in multiple statements on Wednesday.
• This was the military`s highest single-day death toll from terrorist attacks reported this year. Before this, 10 personnel were martyred in a `fire raid` in Balochistan`s Kech district in February 2022
4. After Saudi inflow, UAE deposits $1bn with SBP
• Pakistan received a much-needed inflow of $1 billion from the United Arab Emirates on July 12, 2023, hours before the formal approval of the $3 billion nine-month Stand-By Arrangement by the executive board of the International Monetary Fund.
• The UAE, our brotherly country and friend has deposited $1bn into the State Bank of Pakistan`s account,` Finance Minister Ishq Dar announced in a video message saying that the funds would boost the country`s declining foreign exchange reserves.
• `The Federal Reserve Bank has confirmed that this significant amount has been credited to the account of the SBP,` Mr Dar further said
5. Multi-pronged approach needed to better waste-picking children`s lives: ILO
• The International Labour Organisation (ILO) has said that Pakistan requires a multipronged approach to improve lives of children involved in waste-picking and to end the worst form of child labour.
• The Rapid Assessment of Child Labour in Waste-Picking in Pakistan, carried out by the ILO and published on Wednesday, recommended that all stakeholders must be involved from government decision-makers and law enforcement, to civil society, the private sector and development partners to ensure that policies and practices are sustainable