WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2021 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
February 22, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. PM looking to reinvigorate ties during Russia trip
• Prime Minister Imran Khan would during his two-day official visit to Russia, which begins from Wednesday, seek to further cement bilateral relations with Moscow.
• The Foreign Office on Monday announced the prime minister`s trip, saying Mr Khan will visit Russia on Feb 23-24 on the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
• He will be accompanied by a high-level delegation, including members of the cabinet, on the `official visit`, the FO said.
• `The visit of the prime minister will contribute to further deepening of the multifaceted Pakistan Russia bilateral relationship and enhancement of mutual cooperation in diverse fields,` it added
2. Imran announces zero tax for IT freelancers
• Prime Minister Imran Khan on February 21, 2022 announced a zero tax rate for freelancers in the information technology sector.
• He said Pakistanis, especially the youth, had great talent but the system did not allow them to excel.
• Speaking at the launch of the National E-Tijarat Portal, Mr Khan assured the youth of `all-out facilitation` by the government and urged them not to miss the IT revolution.
• They should not only generate revenues for themselves, but also help bridge the country`s trade gap.
3. Army captain martyred in Kohlu operation
• An army captain was martyred during a clearance operation in Balochistan`s Kohlu district on February 21, 2022 when fleeing terrorists opened indiscriminate fire at the raiding party.
• According to a statement issued by military`s media wing ISPR, Captain Haider Abbas embraced martyrdom in pursuit of the terrorists during an intelligence-based operation. `As soon as troops started cordoning the area, terrorists, while fleeing the hideout, opened indiscriminate fire, the statement said
4. Afghan trucks arrive to lift first consignment of Indian wheat
• A convoy of 41 Afghan trucks reached Wagah border on February 21, 2022 to collect the first consignment of wheat from India at Attar.
• New Delhi has committed 50,000 tonnes of wheat for Afghanistan because of food shortages there.
• The unloading of wheat from Indian lorries and its loading onto Afghan trucks is expected to begin today (Tuesday).
• `The 41 trucks, driven by Afghan drivers, were allowed to enter Pakistani territory at Torkham on February 21, 2022 morning,` a Lahore-based senior Customs official told Dawn
5. England scraps compulsory Covid self-isolation
• UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced February 21, 2022 all pandemic legal curbs in England would end later this week, urging a shift from government intervention to personal responsibility.
• But he faced scientific unease and claims of political calculation to shut down discontent at the restrictions and his premiership within his ruling Conservative party.
• Johnson, who has been mired in scandals that have threatened his hold on power, said the legal need for people to self-isolate when infected with Covid-19 would stop from Thursday.
• Access to free home testing kits will also cease from April 1, he added