WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
January 15, 2022: National Current Affairs MCQs
1. Undeterred by Sindh plea, ECP holds LG polls today
• Undeterred by the eleventh hour request of the Sindh government to put off local bodies polls in Karachi and Hyderabad, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has decided to hold the elections on January 15, 2023 (today) as per the schedule.
• The election watchdog has also warned that any attempt to disrupt the peaceful polling process will be severely dealt with. A meeting of the ECP on Saturday reviewed and rejected the request from the Sindh government to postpone the polls.
• The meeting, chaired by Chief Election Commissioner Sikandar Sultan Raja, directed the provincial government to make foolproof security arrangements for the elections
2. DSP among three martyred in audacious attack
• A senior police officer along with two constables embraced martyrdom in a midnight militant attack, which officials believe is the first of its kind where modern gadgets were used to target police, on Sarband police station on the outskirts of Peshawar.
• Deputy Superintendent of Police Sardar Hussain and his gunmen Irshad Khan and Jahanzeb embraced martyrdom in the gun attack on Sarband police station on the outskirts of Peshawar.
• The banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack.
• While the attackers fled in the dark, hours later two militants believed to be involved in the assault were gunned down in the Sarband area in an exchange of fire with the personnel of the counter-terrorism department of police
3. Cabinet approves upgrade of Mianwali as division
• The Punjab cabinet on January 14, 2023 conditionally approved the upgrade of Mianwali as a division with Mianwali and Bhakkar as its districts.
• A formal notification about the creation of new division will be issued after the delimitation of union councils is completed in both the districts.
• As the media reported the approval, the Election Commission of Pakistan stopped the Punjab chief secretary from issuing the notification.
• The ninth cabinet meeting only hours before the dissolution of the Punjab Assembly and the provincial cabinet was presided over by Chief Minister Parvez Elahi on January 14, 2023.
4. Pakistan, Iran officials agree to boost trade
• The Pak-Iran Joint Border Trade Committee at a meeting agreed to remove hurdles, increase bilateral legal trade and implement the barter agreement for achieving the target of trade between the two countries.
• The Iranian delegation at the committee`s 10th meeting was led by Sistan-Baluchestan`s Deputy Governor Dawood Shaharki while the Pakistani delegation was led by Customs Chief Collectors Abdul Qadir Memon.
• Iranian Consul General Quetta Hasan Darwish, Quetta Chamber of Commerce and Industry President Haji Abdullah Achakzai, Senior Vice President Haji Agha Gul Khilji and other leading business leaders and senior officials of the relevant departments also attended the meeting
5. Ukrainian apartment block smashed in missile attack
• Russia unleashed a major missile attack on Ukraine on January 14, 2023, smashing a nine-storey apartment block in the city of Dnipro, killing at least five people and striking vital energy facilities across the country, officials said.
• The nation`s Energy Minster German Galushchenko warned the strikes that targeted the majority of the regions would make the coming days `difficult.
• Fifteen people were rescued after being buried under a section of an apartment block that was reduced to rubble in the east-central city of Dnipro, where smoke billowed into the slcy, the deputy head of Ukraine`s presidential office said