WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
January 16, 2022: National Current Affairs MCQs
1. `Peaceful` Sindh local polls marred by `low turnout`
• After a long delay, local government elections in Karachi and Hyderabad were finally held on January 15, 2023 with people casting votes to elect their representatives.
• The polling, which started at 8am, continued till 5pm in a largely peaceful manner with sporadic incidents of violence and recriminations of rigging by political parties.
• Unofficial results from Hyderabad put the Pakistan Peoples’ Party (PPP) in pole position on the majority of seats.
• However, till midnight, there was no clear word as to who was leading the polls in Karachi
2. Shehbaz kicks off three-day polio eradication campaign
• Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif kicked off a three day nationwide polio eradication campaign by administering polio drops to children at a ceremony held here on January 15, 2023.
• Pakistan and Afghanistan are the only two countries in the world where polio continues to cripple children as its virus affects the nervous system of children ultimately leading to paralysis.
• Over 44 million children will be administered polio drops during the campaign.
• In nine districts of Hyderabad division and seven districts of Karachi division, the anti-polio campaign will be launched from Jan 23 to 27 due to local government elections
3. Pakistan`s productivity growth averaged 1.5pc in 2010s: study
• Pakistan`s average productivity growth remained just 1.5 per cent from 2010 to 2020, significantly low to achieve the required GDP growth rate of around 7-8pc on a sustainable basis, a new study shows.
• The study titled Sectoral Total Factor Productivity in Pakistan and conducted by the planning ministry and the think tank Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE) says that the growth of productivity is a crucial determinant of an economy`s growth that has to be pushed higher to over 3pc.
• The study used unique listed and non listed data from 1,321 firms divided into 61 sectors to estimate productivity growth in the country. Its results show that high-productivity growth sectors are mostly based on services or tech, whereas those with medium to low or negative productivity growth are in manufacturing
4. Barrick Gold starts work on Reko Diq project
• The Canada-based Barrick Gold Corporation has formally launched work on the Reko Diq project in Balochistan, the company`s head announced on January 15, 2023.
• In a ceremony held at the Chief Minister`s secretariat on Sunday, Barrick Gold Corporation Chief Executive Officer Mark Bristow said the company has also established a project office in Quetta.
• `We have hired the best team of experts while locals are also working on the project,` he added
5. Gunmen kill former Afghan woman lawmaker
• A former lawmaker of Afghanistan, Mursal Nabizada, and one of her bodyguards were shot dead while her brother was wounded in a night-time attack at her home, police said on January 15, 2023.
• `Nabizada, along with one of her bodyguards, was shot dead at her house, Kabul police spokesman Khalid Zadran said.
• `The security forces have started a serious investigation into the incident,` he said, adding that a brother of the ex-lawmaker was also wounded in the attack, which took place during the night between Saturday and Sunday. Nabizada was a `fearless champion for Afghanistan`, former lawmaker Mariam Solaimankhil said on Twitter. `A true trailblazer strong, outspoken woman who stood for what she believed in, even in the face of danger,` she wrote