WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2021 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
March 22, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Alvi moves SC to `end `defections forever`
• President Dr Arif Alvi on March 21, 2022 approached the Supreme Court to seek its opinion on the interpretation of Article 63-A of the Constitution, wondering if Khiyanat (dishonesty) by way of defections warranted pre-emptive action by de-seating the member.
• The reference, moved through Attorney General for Pakistan (AGP) Khalid Jawed Khan, would be taken up on March 24 by a larger bench of the apex court along with a petition of the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) that sought a restraining order against the government`s `intentions` to prevent lawmakers from taking part in the no-trust proceedings against the premier
2. OIC FMs to discuss challenges faced by Muslim world
• The 48th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers (CFM) of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) opens here on March 22, 2022 (today) to discuss challenges being faced by the Muslim world and emerging opportunities.
• The two-day annual meeting of the 57-member body of Muslim countries is being held under the theme of `Building Partnerships for Unity, Justice, and Development`. About 46 member states will be represented at the ministerial level in the meeting. The rest will be represented by senior officials.
• Prime Minister Imran Khan, in a tweet welcoming the participants of the meeting, said: `Under overarching theme of `Unity, Justice & Development`, OIC-CFM will have wide-ranging deliberations
3. Islamabad to get two healthcare centres after 37 years
• After a gap of 37 years, two healthcare centres will be established in the federal capital as Prime Minister Imran Khan laid the foundation stone of a 200bed Emergency and Trauma Centre at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) and a 300-bed hospital in G-11 on Monday.
• Both buildings will be built by Chinese firms. The emergency centre will be completed in two years while the hospital will be constructed in 30 months.
• Speaking to participants of the ground-breaking ceremony, Prime Minister Imran Khan said soon after taking charge of the government, he visited the PIMS emergency centre
4. Democratic Pakistan critical to America`s interests: US official
• The US State Department said on March 21, 2022 that a prosperous and democratic Pakistan was critical to US interests.
• Responding to queries about the current political situation in the country, a spokesperson for the State Department also underlined America`s support for the constitutional process in Pakistan.
• `We are closely following developments in Pakistan. We respect and support Pakistan`s constitutional process and the rule of law, the spokesperson told Dawn.
• `The United States values our longstanding cooperation with Pakistan and has always viewed a strong, prosperous, and democratic Pakistan as critical to US interests
5. IsDB approves $180m for Mohmand Dam
• The Jeddah-based Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) on March 21, 2022 signed framework agreements to extend $180 million loans to Pakistan to finance Mohmand Dam Hydropower Project (MDHP).
• The financing agreements were signed by Secretary Economic Affairs Mian Asad Hayaud Din and Special Adviser to the President IsDB Mohammad Jamal Al-Satti.
• The signing ceremony was also witnessed by IsDB President Dr Muhammad Al Jasser, who is in Islamabad on a three-day visit to attend the 48th session of the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers. Dr Al Jasser also had a meeting with Minister for Economic Affairs Omar Ayub Khan and discussed the matters of mutual interest, an official statement said