WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS MCQs” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
July 18, 2023: National Current Affairs MCQs News
1. Top brass says Kabul abetting terror in Pakistan
• Corps commanders of the Pakistan Army on July 17 blamed Kabul for the uptick in militancy, saying that safe havens and liberty of action, along with the latest weapons available to militants from Afghanistan enabled them to carry out attacks inside Pakistan.
• Islamabad has repeatedly raised concerns over the use of Afghan soil by militants for cross-border terrorism. In a recent statement, the military said it expected the government in Afghanistan to take action against militants and abide by the Doha agreement.
• According to Inter Services Public Relations, Chief of Army Staff General Syed Asim Munir presided over the 258th Corps Commanders` Conference held at General Headquarters in Rawalpindi, where the top brass was briefed in detail about the prevailing internal security environment
2. Trans-Afghan railway to connect Uzbekistan with Pakistan
• Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Afghanistan will sign a joint protocol on July 18, 2023 (today) to connect the Uzbek rail network with Pakistan Railways.
• The route for this connection will pass through Termiz in Uzbekistan, Mazar-i-Sharif and Logar in Afghanistan, and culminate in Pakistan via the Kharlachi border crossing in Kurram.
• This route was finalised in a meeting of a trilateral working group of the three countries on the Uzbekistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan (UAP) railways project, in Islamabad on Monday
3. Sadia Danish becomes GB`s first woman deputy speaker
• Pakistan Peoples Party`s Sadia Danish has become the first woman deputy speaker of the Gilgit Baltistan Assembly.
• She was elected unopposed on July 17, 2023 after no member from the opposition submitted nomination papers for the post.
• Ms Danish was nominated as the seventh deputy speaker of GB by the ruling bloc comprising PPP, PML-N, JUI-F and members of PTI`s forward bloc members
4. WWF urges accelerated climate action to shape Pakistan`s future
• The World Wide Fund (WWF) for Nature Pakistan held a press conference titled `Accelerating Climate Action: Shaping Pakistan`s Future` at the Lahore Press Club on July 17, 2023.
• The press conference aimed to underscore the urgent need for a robust climate change response from all stakeholders in Pakistan.
• The press conference was addressed by WWF Director General Hammad Nagi Khan, and WWF International President Dr Adil Najam. The event focused on Pakistan`s vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, exemplified by the catastrophic floods of 2002, which served as a stark reminder of the nation`s exposure to the climate crisis. The goal was to engage the media in a dynamic discussion on a nationally driven, globally significant climate change agenda to address the growing impact and risk of climate change in Pakistan
5. PTA blocks 43 lending apps after man`s suicide
• The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has blocked 43 digital lending apps operating without a licence, the IT ministry said on July 17, 2023.
• The apps have been under criticism for their predatory lending practices after a Rawalpindi man killed himself due to `threats` from loan apps, for failing to pay back debt, which had compounded to Rs800,000 after interest.
• The PTA acted against the apps after directives were issued by the Federal Minister for IT and Telecommunication Syed Aminul Haque