WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
April 06, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Russia condemns US `attempt to punish Imran`
• Wading into the political battle raging in Islamabad over the alleged threat made against Imran Khan`s government by an American official, Moscow on April 5, 2022 accused the United States of committing `another attempt of shameless interference` in the internal affairs of Pakistan to punish a `disobedient` Imran Khan for not supporting the US position on Ukraine.
• But rejecting the Russian allegation of interference in Pakistan`s domestic politics, the US State Department said on Tuesday that it `does not support one political party over another`.
• In a statement issued in Moscow, spokesperson for the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Maria Zakharova, noted that President Arif Alvi had dissolved the National Assembly on April 3 on Imran Khan`s advice, which was based on a claim that the US orchestrated a plan to topple his government
2. New governor assumes office
• Newly appointed Governor Omer Sarfraz Cheema on April 5, 2022 officially assumed office and met the staff and employees of the Governor House.
• Mr Cheema said he was honoured to be a part of the struggle for a strong and independent Pakistan under the leadership of Prime Minister Imran Khan for the last 26 years. He said he would take the vision of the prime minister forward and thanked him for reposing his confidence in him and added that he would come up to his expectations.
• `It is a matter of pride for me that on the very first day of assuming my responsibilities, Prime Minister Imran Khan visited the Governor House and met senior party leaders, parliamentarians and party workers,` Mr Cheema added
3. Number of out-of-school children up by 5pe: report
• Fourteen per cent children of school age are not attending schools in rural districts of Punjab a five per cent increase from nine per cent out-of-school children recorded in 2019.
• For the first time, the number of out-of-school boys (8pc) has surpassed the girls (6pc) by two per cent in the rural areas.
• `About six per cent girls and eight per cent boys are out of school in the rural districts of Punjab,` says Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) Punjab Rural 2021.
• However, the learning level of children, mostly fifth graders, improved in public schools
4. PAEC completes RFO of nuclear power plant `in record time`
• Engineers and technicians of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) have completed Re-Fueling Outage (RFO) of nuclear power plant C-3 at Chashma in record minimum time of 26 days.
• The PAEC said in a press release on Tuesday that this was first time in the country`s nuclear industry history that Pakistani engineers and technicians had completed RFO within shortest possible time.
• The RFO of Pressurised Water Reactor is a routine requirement for replacement of fuel repair and maintenance after every 14 to 18 months which is normally completed in 60 to 79 days
5. Russia risks default as US blocks payments
• The United States has barred Russia from making debt payments using funds held at American banks, ramping up the economic pain on Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine, the US Treasury said on April 5, 2022.
• The latest move increases the risk the country will not be able to pay creditors.
• `The US Treasury will not permit any dollar debt payments to be made from Russian government accounts at US financial institutions,` a Treasury spokesperson told AFP.
• The official later clarified that the ban started on Monday when Moscow was due to make a debt payment.