WELCOME TO CSS TIMES DAY BY DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS, YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR UP-TO-DATE AND DAILY TOP CURRENT AFFAIRS 2022 FOR PREPARATION OF CSS, PMS, BANKING, NTS, RAILWAYS AND ALL COMPETITIVE EXAMS. “DAY TO DAY CURRENT AFFAIRS” BASICALLY IS TOP 10 NEWS SUMMARY ON CURRENT HAPPENINGS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS
October 06, 2022: National / International Current Affairs
1. Centre fears TTP attacks amid stalemate in talks
• Responding to a heightened risk of terrorist attacks by the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), the Ministry of Interior has issued a nationwide alert asking for `extreme vigilance`, instructing that targeted search and strike missions be carried out wherever militant activity is reported.
• The missive was addressed to the home and chief secretaries of the four provinces, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan, as well as the Islamabad chief commissioner.
• It urged all authorities to heighten security and exercise enhanced vigilance to avoid any untoward incident
2. Focus on long-term Pak-US defence partnership: Austin
• US Defence Secretary Lloyd J. Austin said on October 5, 2022 that his talks with visiting Pakistan Army Chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa focused on the long-standing partnership between the two defence establishments and on areas of mutual interest.
• Underlining the importance of this partnership in a tweet he posted on his official site, Secretary Austin noted that this year marl(s the 75th anniversary of relations between the United States and Pakistan.
• In a separate statement, his office said that on Oct 4, Secretary Austin hosted Gen Bajwa at the Pentagon during the 75th anniversary of relations between the United States and Pakistan
3. Alvi okays reference seeking SC opinion on revival of Reko Diq project
• President Dr Arif Alvi gave the go-ahead on October 5, 2022 for filing a reference seeking the Supreme Court`s verdict on whether the government could revive the Reko Dig project or not.
• The president gave his approval under Article 186 of the Constitution on the advice of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
• The apex committee, headed by the finance minister and the shareholders of Tethyan Copper Company (TCC), had earlier agreed to a framework for the settlement and revival of the Reko Dig project in March this year.
4. Ex-FBR chief appointed SAPM
• Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif appointed former FBR chairman Tariq Bajwa as a special assistant, on October 5, 2022.
• According to a notification issued by the PM Office, Mr Bajwa has been appolnted SAPM with the status of the minister of state.
• A senior government official told Dawn that Mr Bajwa will help the government with the finance sector
5. ADB promises $2.5bn for flood relief operations
• The Asian Development Bank (ADB) on October 5, 2022 promised $2.5 billion to Pakistan to help support flood relief activities.
• The `ADB will provide flood relief support to Pakistan to the tune of $2.3bn to $2.5bn including $1.5bn for the BRACE(Building Resilience with Active Countercyclical Expenditure) programme which will be placed before the ADB Board for approval during this month,` the Ministry of Finance quoted the Manila-based lending agency`s country director Mr Yong Ye.
• An ADB delegation led by Mr Ye had a meeting with Finance Minister Ishaq Dar ahead of ADB`s board meeting scheduled to be held in the third week of the current month. The finance welcomed the delegation and appreciate d ADB`s supportive role in promoting sustainable development in Pakistan. He updated the ADB team about the flood`s devastation and its impact on the economy