CSS Everyday Science Paper 2015
Question: Discuss the Function of Kidneys in Human Body
Functions of Kidney
The kidneys are two bean-shaped organs that extract waste from blood, balance body fluids, form urine, and aid in other important functions of the body.
They reside against the back muscles in the upper abdominal cavity. They sit opposite each other on both sides of the spine. The right kidney sits a little bit lower than the left to accommodate the liver.
Check also: General Science MCQs for CSS
When it comes to components of the urinary system, the kidneys are multi-talented powerhouses of activity. Some of the core functions of the kidneys include:
There are many things your body doesn’t want inside of it, and the kidneys help get rid of some of them. The kidneys filter out toxins, excess salts, and urea, a nitrogen-based waste created by cell metabolism. Urea is synthesized in the liver and transported through the blood to the kidneys for removal.
Read also: Science and its Branches
Water level balancing:
As the kidneys are key in the production of urine, they react to changes in the body’s water level throughout the day. As water intake decreases, the kidneys adjust accordingly and leave water in the body instead of helping excrete it.
Blood pressure regulation:
The kidneys need constant pressure to filter the blood. When it drops too low, the kidneys increase the pressure. One way is by producing a blood vessel-constricting protein (angiotensin) that also signals the body to retain sodium and water. Both the constriction and retention help restore normal blood pressure.
Red blood cell regulation:
When the kidneys don’t get enough oxygen, they send out a distress call in the form of erythropoietin, a hormone that stimulates the bone marrow to produce more oxygen-carrying red blood cells.
As cells metabolize, they produce acids. Foods we eat can either increase the acid in our body or neutralize it. If the body is to function properly, it needs to keep a healthy balance of these chemicals. The kidneys do that, too.
Before your leave check other our collection of CSS General Science & Ability
- Science and its Branches
- Black Hole: What’s expected inside it? (CSS Paper 2007, 2018 Solution)
- Discuss the Function of Kidneys in Human Body (CSS Paper 2015 Solution)
- How solar eclipse and lunar eclipse are caused? (CSS Paper 2015 Solution)
- Different Branches of Science | General Science Notes
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) | CSS General Science & Ability Notes
- ‘Artificial Intelligence’ for humanity | General Science & Ability Notes
- What are Landslide and What Causes | General Science & Ability Notes
- Weather and Climate | General Science and Ability Notes
- What is An Avalanche? | General Science & Ability CSS Notes